UW Otolaryngology Diversity Visiting Medical Student Program
The Otolaryngology Diversity Visiting Medical Student Program is a funded program designed to encourage students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to experience the exceptional training that the University of Washington Department of Otolaryngology has to offer. Students will spend four weeks with the Department of Otolaryngology at the University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Harborview Medical Center or Puget Sound Veteran’s Administrative Hospital and care for a variety of patients in our tertiary care centers. Students will participate in all the duties and functions of a medical student. They will also be expected to attend all scheduled house staff teaching sessions and conferences. Read full program announcement and apply.
Who Should Apply:
Competitive applicants in the Otolaryngology Diversity Visiting Medical Student Program should be strongly motivated to pursue a career in Otolaryngology. The program is open to applicants who demonstrate the above and belong to groups that are recognized as historically underrepresented in the health and science professions including: African American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Hispanic American and Asian/Pacific Islander. Clerkships are four weeks in duration and are available to full-time fourth-year students who are in good standing at LCME-accredited U.S. medical schools.
Program Goals & Resources:
- Encourage students to consider a career in Otolaryngology
- Enhance student awareness of opportunities in academic medicine
- Provide specific mentoring and networking for underrepresented students
- UW Network of Underrepresented Residents and Fellows (NURF) >>
- Center for Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (CEDI) >>
- UW Diversity Visiting Sub-Internships >>
Applicants must be on track to complete all required clerkships through their home medical school. Funded Diversity Visiting Medical Student Program positions will be available during the month of October for qualified applicants from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in Otolaryngology. Funding includes a stipend of up to $2,500 to cover eligible housing and travel costs.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement, in which you describe the reason you would like to participate in this program, your career goals, and explain how this program would further enhance these goals.
- One letter of recommendation from a clinical faculty member
- Medical School transcript
- USMLE Step 1 score report; if already taken, please also submit Step 2 score report.
- Application Form
- Completion and approval of UW's School of Medicine VSAS application - opens March 1, 2019 - https://www.uwmedicine.org/school-of-medicine/visiting-students-program
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Diversity Committee, the Program Director and the Medical Student Clerkship Director. Deadline is TBD Winter 2020. Applicants will be notified of the results of the application process on a rolling basis. Please submit your application materials and forward any questions to Rebekah Smith at email@example.com.